Saturday, July 18, 2009

At the Beach

This is the beach next to where Marilyn lives. We went for a short walk on the beach. I wanted to bring back a shell and looked for one. Marilyn told me that any shells she had found were occupied by small hermit crabs. I found one and she was right.
Jack and Anna, Josie and Caroline, can you see the little crab trying to hide all curled up in this shell?
I saw a group of people out where the water was deeper and wondered what they were looking for. Later I saw these boys around a fire cooking their catch. They were happy to see their pictures on my camera.
The beach was sandy, but right at the water line it was all pieces of coral. Large and small bits of coral made up this entire beach area.
I found a cozy spot to sit and listen to the waves. I even wrote some of you letters from the beach. The wind was blowing the palm trees.
I was right next to this big driftwood log.
I could have stayed all day, it was so nice and peaceful. However I kept looking out at the ocean and seeing the rain coming in. I kept thinking, maybe I can stay just a little longer, but the storm was getting closer. I just made it back to Marilyn's with a few drops falling. As soon as I was inside the storm hit. Heavy rain and thunder and lightening right overhead. The booms were so loud that I was scared.

3 comments:

becky said...

This post makes me want to go visit the beach. Those fishermen look like they were having a lot of fun. I'm glad you had a chance to sit and take pictures before the storm came in. Was the loud thunder exciting as well as scary? We had a storm like that a couple weeks ago and for a while tracie and i just sat in the dark listening and watching the lightning-it's pretty amazing! Particularly cuz we don't get that much here in the summer, not like you in PNG.

akamilby said...

Jack and Caroline could both see the crab in the picture! They wanted to tell you that. And they like the pictures of the beach. Jack says: what is coral? Love you!

katie said...

Anna and Josie saw the crab in the shell too! Anna wants to see it again.
I wanted to go get my feet wet. It's been a long time since we've been to the ocean, living as far from it as we do.